Sound Analysis and Synthesis Software Avisoft-SASLab Pro
|part # 10101, 10111|
# 10102, 10112
Avisoft-SASLab Pro is a powerful Windows application (compatible to Vista/7/8/10) for investigating animal acoustic communication. It provides a broad range of processing and analysis tools that can greatly increase the efficiency in extensive sound analysis projects.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro is compatible:
- Supports all common soundcards and USB audio interfaces
- Opens .wav and .bwf files that have been recorded by any solid state / hard disk field recorder
- Imports soundfiles that have been recorded with third-party sound recording/processing tools (.WAV .BWF .AIF, .SND, .AU, various binary formats and .txt)
- Exports images and measurement results as files (.wmf, .bmp, .tif, .txt, .htm, .xml, .sql), via clipboard or through DDE directly into Excel
- Exports georeferenced field survey data by means of .txt, .kml, .gpx or .shp files into GIS applications (including Google Maps / Google Earth, ArcGIS products, Quantum GIS and many others)
- The software can be configured for touch screen operation in order to facilitate its use on tablet PC's.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro is
- Color-coded spectrograms (FFT size of 64 to 1024 points), high quality
spectrogram output with TrueType fonts
- Real-time spectrogram display with circular buffer recording
- Digital filtering for removing noise
- Flexible cursors for measuring spectrogram structures
- Versatile automated sound parameter measurement and
classification facilities (event detection, analysis, classification and statistics)
- Labeling option for single point and time section labels
- Magnitude- and Powerspectrum, Linear Predictive Coding (LPC), Auto- and Crosscorrelation,
Cepstrum, Histogram, 2D and 3D Scatterplot, 3D Waterfall display,
Impuls-Density-Histogram, Envelope and Instantaneous frequency using
hilbert transformation, frequency shift using FFT technique, Root
mean square, Sound similarity matrix for comparison of
- Octave and Third-Octave Analysis for noise level measurements
- Heterodyned payback of (full-spectrum) ultrasound recordings
- Synthesizer for generating artificial songs and calls by mouse
drawing of the parameter evolution (fundamental frequency, envelope,
harmonics, frequency and amplitude modulation). Listen to a few synthesized bird songs
- Automated classification of syllables by means of spectrogram
cross-correlation with templates
- A dedicated pulse train analysis tool supports the investigation of temporal patterns of both simple pulse trains or series of sound bursts (e.g. song elements)
- Georeferencing (also referred to as geocoding, geolocating or geotagging) .wav files that have been recorded with a digital field recorder by using GPS track log data (see the Bird Species Map and
SONY PCM-M10 samples)
Creating field survey maps from labeled or renamed (with filenames containing species prefixes) .wav files that can be easily imported into GIS applications, including Google Maps or Google Earth (see the Avisoft Bat Survey sample).
- Synchronizing audio and video recordings by using SMPTE or LANC time code information (both reading and writing)
- Advanced metadata management capabilities including user-defined database fields that can be collected into a virtual (XML-formatted) metadatabase, which can subsequently be queried within the Avisoft-SASLab Pro software.
- Batch and real-time processing for managing large numbers of sound files.
- and much more ...
Avisoft-SASLab Pro is compatible with any PC running Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 or Vista including Intel-based Apple Macintosh running Boot Camp, Parallels or similar virtualization software.
What the experts say
combination of these features means that the software pretty much
lives up to the claims made in the advertising flyer that it is easy
and intuitive to use." ... "Avisoft provides cheap, powerful sound
analysis for PC's." ... "If you already have an IBM-compatible
computer of the appropriate specification, then Avisoft is a most
Peter K. McGregor, Nottingham University
and Jo Holland, University of Copenhagen: Review in Animal
Behaviour, 1995, Vol 50, No 10
"I find Avisoft
is a joy to use. The facility and speed with which the user can
assess long recordings using the real-time display, prepare and
print sonograms and other spectra quickly or export them to other
Windows applications, while in full control of the analysis and
display parameters, makes this an invaluable programme for
bioacoustic research and education."
Richard Ranft, National
Sound Archive London: Review in Bioacoustics 1995, Vol. 6, No
"I’ve been looking for a number of years for a
software package that allows the user to simply rub out superfluous
portions of the sonogram and with SASLab Pro I have finally found
Jon Russ: Review in the newsletter of the UK National Bat
Monitoring Programme, Bat Monitoring Post, December 2002
References to Avisoft-SASLab Pro, RECORDER and UltraSoundGate.
Automatically measuring sound parameters on the spectrogram:|
Syllable classification by means of spectrogram cross-correlation:|
A dedicated Puls
Train Analysis option supports the temporal analysis of amplitude
envelope patterns. Both complex pulse group analysis and simple
counting of vocalizations is supported:
Conference poster on automatic measurement tools in SASLab Pro (299KB).
|For more details on the SASLab
Pro software see the tutorial, the manual or download the free Demo/Lite version with its
online help system. If you have any further questions please
Who uses Avisoft-SASLab Pro?
Avisoft-SASLab Pro is being used by hundreds of users for investigating acoustic communication in various animal species including birds, mammals, rodents, frogs, fish and insects.